Friday, March 09, 2007

Blog reading becomes more interesting: Mark Cuban v/s Google

Blog reading has become even more interesting. Over the past few weeks I've been reading this blog by Mark Cuban. The guy has been after Google for sometime, ofcourse not in the usual "I need publicity so let me take on someone famous". He is quite a celebrity himself and has been writing a lot about Google and Youtube on his blog. His observations are not only very interesting but are also very insightful.

Read and enjoy. Here's an excerpt of his latest blog entry -

This past week I decided to supoena Google to get the names of users that were uploading copies of our movies. I have no intention of pulling an RIAA and suing the users. I do have every attention of sending supoenas early and often to get the names and emails of users uploading our content they have pirated.

Why ? To learn.

I expect that the users will have given fake information, but i want to confirm that is the case. It will be a useful data point. I find it hard to believe that when there is ultimately a legal battle, that the courts will allow a company that I suspect that from time to time we will get the emails and actually be able to make contact with users. That is when it could get interesting. I want to ask them some simple questions. The first of which is why ? Sure there are a lot of possible and obvious answers, but maybe the will tell me something new or interesting that I can learn from.

The 2nd question will be whether they were induced by Google in any way to upload the video. Not that I think Google coerced them in any way. I don't. But I want to know if they feel that Google endorses and supports uploading and streaming of pirated content. I want to know why they ignored the warnings that are on the video upload page.

...continue reading the entire thing here.

No comments: